Tomorrow, we’re celebrating World Oceans Day! As we all know, a healthy ocean is crucial to our survival. Oceans regulate our climate, help provide food, clean the water we drink and generate the majority of the oxygen we breathe. They are home to an endless number of wildlife, some of which we have yet to discover. Not only that, but oceans provide limitless inspiration with their awe-inspiring, breathtaking beauty.
Needless to say, the ocean deserves its own day!
We at the South Carolina Aquarium are celebrating this special day with a variety of ocean-themed activities:
- 10 am: Leapin’ Lemurs – Join us for Leapin’ Lemurs where you will learn all about these island primates as you watch them get their morning breakfast.
- 10:30 am: Saltmarsh Feeding –Head out to the Saltmarsh aviary to see our birds receive their morning meal! Learn how saltmarsh environments protect the Lowcountry and watch as staff feed our collection of rescued native birds.
- 11 am: Good Catch Dive Show – Swim on over to the Lower Ocean Gallery for the “Good Catch” dive show. Learn all about the Aquarium’s “Good Catch” program and see what’s on the menu today in the Great Ocean Tank.
- 12 pm: Marine Invertebrate Show – Meet some marine invertebrates that make our beaches home and learn what you can do to keep their home clean.
- 1 pm: Nature Discovery – Join us in the Great Hall to get hands on with nature and learn more about our oceans.
- 1:30 pm: Dive into the Great Ocean Tank – Find out what it’s like to dive in our largest exhibit, the Great Ocean Tank. Interact with a diver and learn how we care for all those fish.
- 2 pm: Otter Enrichment – Hike on up to the Mountain Forest to see our North American River Otters receive their daily enrichment. Learn how changes to their environment help promote happy and healthy lives for the otters and other animals at the Aquarium.
- 2:30 pm: Shark Shallows Enrichment – Head outside to our newest exhibit, Shark Shallows, to see how we enrich our cownose stingrays! Watch as staff use food, training and other stimulating enrichments to promote healthy aquatic animals throughout the Aquarium.
- 3 pm: Fishing for Answers – Ask your craziest Aquarium questions during this dive program in the Great Ocean Tank! Here’s your chance to ask the Aquarium experts those burning questions you’ve been dying to know for years as you go “fishing for answers”!
- 4 pm: Horseshoe Crab show – Learn all about horseshoe crabs and how they contribute to the health of our coastal waters.
From 10-2 pm, we’ll have a craft table set up for guests to make reusable grocery bags from t-shirts.
So come to the Aquarium, learn more about how you can protect our seas and celebrate with us because the ocean is just so fin-tastically celebratable!