Work at the Aquarium
Please keep in mind that the South Carolina Aquarium only accepts applications for positions currently posted on the web page. Due to a high volume of applicants, we ask that you please refrain from making inquires. The applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.
The South Carolina Aquarium is seeking a dedicated, seasoned and energetic professional to manage the fiscal resources of this world class conservation and education institution as we seek to lead the way to connect people with water, wildlife and wild places. As a key member of the senior leadership team the Director of Finance will develop and manage the principles and practices for the accounting, treasury, risk, cash, and financial reporting & analysis functions, as well as our Information Technology department. The Director of Finance will partner with the Aquarium Executive and Board leadership in strategic and operational decision making.
Salary to be Commensurate with Experience and Education
Qualified Candidates please submit resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
As a member of the senior leadership team the Director of Finance is responsible for the Aquarium’s accounting, treasury, purchasing, budgeting, and risk functions, including establishing and maintaining accounting principles, practices, procedures, and controls; preparing financial reports, analysis, budgets, and forecasts; controlling and monitoring cash handling. Oversees Information Technology and concessions.
Essentials Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintaining fiscal records including directing all aspects of accounting operations and overseeing all transactions related to the general ledger (Microsoft Dynamics SL).
- Managing the external audit process and producing the audited consolidated financial statements.
- Managing the application software for the general ledger, financial reporting, budget, purchasing, and payroll systems.
- Establishing accounting policies and procedures to ensure that all financial transactions are recorded correctly in accordance with GAAP.
- Managing all financing vehicles including bank debt, bonds, leases, etc.
- Analyzing financial results and budgets and issuing reports to Aquarium management including but not limited to operations, forecasting, what –if analysis, cash forecasting, and ROI analysis.
- Managing the annual operating and capital expenditure budgeting process.
- Preparing business license renewals.
- Recommending fiscal strategy to meet the goals of the Aquarium and advising Aquarium senior leadership and the Board Treasurer on the appropriate course of action.
- Identifying and implement new revenue growth opportunities.
- Developing and implementing financial controls.
- Collaborating with the Director of Human Resources on payroll and benefits policies and procedures.
- Oversees Information Technology development, operations, and maintenance.
- Selecting, developing, evaluating, and maintaining a highly qualified, and diverse professional staff; delegating specific responsibilities. Providing an environment that motivates, encourages teamwork, personal initiative and accountability. Disciplining staff according to policies.
- Establishing, monitoring, and reporting on purchasing function.
- Preparing business plans and forecasts.
- Developing relationships with banking and business community, locally and regionally.
- Managing concession contracts and monitoring performance.
- Participating in the development and oversight of major contracts including benefit and non-benefit insurance contracts.
- Staff liaison to Board Finance and Audit committee.
- Adhering to the South Carolina Aquarium Policies.
- Performing other duties as required.
Other Duties & Responsibilities
- Supports the mission by participating in Aquarium sponsored programs and events on a regular basis and supporting all approved institutional annual goals.
- A member of the senior leadership.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Strong Computer skills including Microsoft Office, general ledger, purchasing, budgeting, and point of sales systems.
- Ability to actively engage in conversations and build consensus in a team oriented environment.
- Goal oriented with proven ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to deal with changing priorities and remain sensitive to mission-related issues.
- Personal commitment to conservation and environmental issues an advantage.
Education & Experience Required
- BS in Accounting or Finance (Masters and CPA preferred).
- 10 years of financial management experience in including financing (bank debt, bonds, leases, etc.)
- In depth knowledge of GAAP.
- Five years management experience.
- Ability to function independently while maintaining clear communication with direct reports, senior management, and at all levels within the Aquarium.
- Non-profit experience a plus.
- Five years of experience in organizational management and strategic planning.
The South Carolina Aquarium is looking for a hands on working Supervisor to lead its team-oriented staff of Facilities technicians. The candidate should expect to be involved with scheduling, overseeing, recording, and performing all aspects of preventative and reactive maintenance and repair. The ideal person will also be involved with the design and the implementation of the Facilities Master Maintenance Plan as well as assist in the development of and work within the department budget. This is a hands on working position and the ideal candidate will be willing to assist with other projects and functions as directed. Experience with DDC, pumps, HVAC and other building trades are preferred. Must be capable of climbing ladders and performing moderate physical labor.
This is a support position to the Special Events team, and will assist with hosting Special and Institutional Advancement Events and researching possible leads. The primary duty of this position is to service and host in-house and paid evening and weekend events.
- Act as Event Host during evening events. Oversee all aspects of each special event assigned from the arrival of the first vendor to the departure of the last. Main liaison with client, vendor, staff and volunteers on-site.
- Assist with monitoring all processes for quality assurance and excellent customer service.
- Research possible sales leads, and completes all assigned follow-up sales prospect activities
- Assist with occasional Sales Office duties, such as mailings, data entry, and ticket deliveries
- Develop familiarity with all aquarium exhibits, services and events in order to become an information resource to our guests
- Adhere to all Aquarium policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Strong grasp of the hospitality industry
- Excellent organizational and communications skills are essential
- Must be able to manage multiple tasks in a high-energy environment and pay meticulous attention to detail.
- Professional image required
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including late nights and weekends, and some holidays
- Must be able to make win-win decisions under pressure
- Must be able to manage multiple tasks at one time
- Must be a team player and self-motivated
Education & Experience Required
- Prefer an associates or bachelors degree with a hospitality focus. Degree-seeking students welcomed.
- Prefer two years hospitality or event planning experience.
Put Your Best Fin Forward!
Employees of the South Carolina Aquarium must adhere to the Aquarium’s Appearance Policy. Before you take the plunge, please read our full policy here.
South Carolina Aquarium is an equal opportunity employer supporting workplace diversity and is a drug/alcohol screening employer. * Please note that by clicking the links above you will be redirected to a third party site.