Currents

May 09

History’s Mistaken Mermaids

As water temperatures rise, so do our chances of seeing manatees as they migrate from Florida. Murky waters make it difficult to discern true population numbers here in South Carolina, but that doesn’t mean we can’t plan for safe wildlife watching as we await their arrival! The scientific order…
Apr 22

Meet Our New Director of Veterinary Care, Dr. Jamie Torres

Monkeys, and stingrays and turtles... oh my! These are just some of the animals Dr. Jamie Torres, our new director of veterinary care, has had the pleasure of working with over the course of her career. As an integral part of the Aquarium family, Dr. Jamie will continue leading…
Feb 08

Meet Our New Director of Conservation, Dr. Sara McDonald

What do Florida manatees, Molokini Crater and Rachel Carson have in common? Well, they all spark notable stories and memories for Dr. Sara McDonald, the newest member of the South Carolina Aquarium family! Sara is our new director of conservation at the Aquarium. We're excited to see where we…
Feb 07

Take Climate Action

Here at the Aquarium, we understand the intrinsic link between climate change and the charismatic animals we care for. Sea turtles are losing their nesting grounds as a result of rising seas and erosion. Some arrive at the Sea Turtle Care Center™ facing ailments like fibropapillomatosis, a disease…
Feb 12

Coming Full Circle: The Life and Legacy of the Just Family

Coming Full Circle The Life and Legacy of the Just Family “To be able to say I am doing a project in this community is humbling; coming full circle, I am doing a restoration project as an African American marine biologist in the birthplace of Ernest Everett Just,”…
May 01

The Question On Everyone’s Mind

When Will We Reopen? These are interesting times we’re facing; streets are deserted, businesses are closed, people are peeking through their windows instead of greeting each other face-to-face. It would be an understatement to say that the COVID-19 pandemic has significantly altered our current way of life. Now,…
Apr 14

Practice Social Distancing with Dolphins, Too!

Social distancing is our new normal for the foreseeable future, but for the local dolphin population, it's a practice we should always have in place! Since today is National Dolphin Day, we wanted to take some time virtually connecting with Meghan, our resident dolphin expert at the Aquarium,…
Apr 09

A Quick Note From Kelly

To the conservation-minded community, Did you know this month is the 50th anniversary of Earth Day? My April calendar was full of Earth Day events that I was either working or attending but in the current state of affairs, that calendar is wiped clean. Unfortunately, all of our calendars…
Apr 06

Join us for the Solo Sweep Challenge

Instead of going stir-crazy sitting inside, we want you to join us for the Solo Sweep Challenge during Earth Month! What is it? The South Carolina Aquarium is enlisting fans, followers, volunteers and corporate partners to join us on a month-long challenge to reach our goal of logging one million pieces…
Mar 25

A Letter from Amy MacKown

Never waste a crisis. I’ve been following the coronavirus closely since January. I was that crazy person calling their aunts and uncles on Valentine’s Day to send love and odes of warning, letting them know a shipment of nutraceuticals was on its way in case the health care…
X
Skip to content