Caring Amidst the Crisis
The hardship is far from over. Although the Aquarium has reopened its doors, the loss of revenue due to COVID-19 will be felt throughout the remainder of 2020. Donate to our Emergency Relief Fund to help our staff continue to connect you to water, wildlife and wild places, and care for all the animals that call the Aquarium home.
Even while the Aquarium was temporarily closed to prevent the spread of COVID-19, our expert animal care continued. A dedicated team reported daily to take care of the scaly, furry and feathered members of our Aquarium family and continue operations:
- $2,500: One-week supply of food for the Aquarium animals
- $1,020: Two-week supply of salt to regulate salinity in exhibit tanks
- $120: One-week supply of antibiotics for one animal
- $50: Daily care costs of one sea turtle patient
Virtual Visits & Programming
On top of ensuring our animals are taken care of, we wanted to make sure you, our loyal supporters, continued to feel connected to water, wildlife and wild places. As we’ve reopened, our education efforts continue both at the Aquarium and virtually in your living rooms – yet this comes with a price, too:
- $2,200: Basic technology equipment needed to facilitate a distance learning experience
- $250: Cost of one distance learning experience for a local classroom
- $100: Sponsors two teachers to receive training in using our award-winning standards-based science curriculum
The South Carolina Aquarium is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, and we rely on the support of our paying guests, members, foundations and the generosity of our community to remain operational. Donate today to help our staff continue to connect you to water, wildlife and wild places, and care for all the animals that call the Aquarium home.