Work at the Aquarium
Please keep in mind that the South Carolina Aquarium only accepts applications for positions currently posted on the web page. Due to a high volume of applicants, we ask that you please refrain from making inquires. The applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Assist with the development and execution of the South Carolina Aquarium’s Annual Giving, Membership, and Adopt-an-Animal program plan. Assist with membership recruitment and renewal efforts. Assist with development, implementation and promotion of membership educational programs and special events that support the organization’s mission. Support a limited selection of Advancement events and programs, as described below.
- Cultivate member interest and retention by organizing and hosting education programming and member events. Create and plan overall member programming in collaboration with the Membership Team, other departments and external partners.
- Responsible for the timely delivery of renewals via e-blast and direct mail to ensure that revenue goals are met. Review historical and new strategies with the AG&MM to continually improve renewal rates.
- In collaboration with the AG&MM, develop and execute a plan to grow the Adopt-an-Animal program. Responsible for all aspects of Adopt-an-animal fulfillment.
- In collaboration with the Major Gifts Officer, promote and support third party fundraising efforts.
- Responsible for executing outreach opportunities that lead to significant membership acquisitions, renewals and rejoins.
- Responsible for data health by doing the daily Import between SiriusWare and Raiser’s Edge. Handle all exceptions, duplicates, and communication of missing information. Provide guidance to guest services when repetitive problems surface. Work closely with the Advancement Services Coordinator to ensure data health. Quality control of batches from Admissions. Manage data health in SiriusWare.
- Work collaboratively with Marketing to develop appropriate content for bi-monthly e-blasts to current members.
- Work collaboratively and proactively with Marketing to ensure the successful implementation of special promotions such as Member Month and the Holiday Gift Giving Guide. Review historical and new strategies with the AG&MM to create membership promotions with the greatest ROI.
- Be fully proficient at processing membership transaction information into SiriusWare and fulfilling memberships. Act as back up to the Membership Coordinator during times of high volume and during days off.
- Assist with membership customer service issues and respond to membership inquiries in a timely fashion.
- Compile and update essential membership business process documentation.
- Arrange and/or conduct special tours for Conservation Stewards, as requested.
- Assist in the preparation of Conservation Steward renewal packages. Work with IT and the Advancement Services Coordinator to create a more automated renewal process.
- Assist with fulfillment of Conservation Stewards membership
- In collaboration with the AG&MM, explore strategies to increase Conservation Steward membership and convert or up-sell members.
- Develop and cultivate an active volunteer base to assist in program delivery, as appropriate.
- Assist with Advancement events, as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned by the AG&MM.
Other Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop a fluent understanding of Aquarium programs. Support the mission by participating in Aquarium sponsored programs and events on a regular basis. Assist with the promotion of the organization in the community. Represent the Aquarium at public events and functions.
- Maintain a customer service demeanor at all times. Responds to donors with the appropriate level of urgency. Ask questions to identify donor’s needs or expectations in a pleasant and respectful manner. In completing tasks, continually consider the impact of those actions on the donor, and is flexible to accommodate donor’s needs.
- Work with the Marketing Department to ensure consistent organizational branding.
- Adhere to the South Carolina Aquarium Policies and Procedures.
- Other duties as requested by the Annual Giving & Membership Manager
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, SiriusWare, and Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge is preferred.
- Excellent verbal, written communication, presentation and interpersonal skills. Be able to deal with a variety of customer service issues with maturity and professionalism.
- Must be a detail and goal oriented, enthusiastic individual able to exercise independent judgment in completing tasks, prioritizing, and meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrated organizational skills; able to manage multiple projects and move quickly from one to another while maintaining thorough records. Ability to be flexible and balance competing priorities.
Education & Experience Required
Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing or a related field, and 2-3 years related experience in fundraising in the non-profit arena.
Guest Services Associates are responsible for insuring our guests have a great time at the South Carolina Aquarium. This position is responsible for greeting and interacting with our guests while assisting their entrance and exit through various experiences at the South Carolina Aquarium. Daily activities involve rotating through key positions throughout the building from welcoming guests at the entrance to managing the flow of guests through the 4-D theatre.
- Have fun interacting with our guests in various positions:
- Welcome all guests and assist in entry by taking tickets, greeting, or verifying re-entry.
- Thank all guests for visiting and provide hand stamps for re-entry.
- Assist guests in entering the 4-D theater by managing the queue, answering questions, and distributing 3-D glasses.
- Assist guests in exiting the 4-D theater and managing the daily handling of 3-D glasses.
- Graciously direct and facilitate traffic through Admissions, efficiently handling crowds and the logistics associated with their control.
- Provide our guests with information on daily programs, exhibits and Charleston area attractions.
- Promote memberships, Adopt-An-Animal, behind the scenes tours and other Aquarium fundraising programs to guests.
- Assist with customer care, including but not limited to: first aid, fire evacuations and lost and found.
- Maintain the safety, cleanliness and organization of all work and break areas, both in view of the general public and behind the scenes
- Maintain constant interaction with our guests to ensure an excellent visitor experience
- Assist Aquarium guests in a variety of posts and responsibilities from taking tickets to assisting in the organization of our daily responsibilities.
- Adhere to the South Carolina Aquarium Policies & Procedures.
- Weekend and holiday work required
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Positive, fun, and optimistic personality
- Must be comfortable working in a high energy environment with heavy public contact
- Ability to work in a constantly changing environment, take initiative and be adaptable
- Ability to speak in front of groups and individuals
- Ability to maintain courteous manner, be flexible and solve problems under a variety of circumstances
- Must be punctual and reliable
- Must enjoy the team environment and interaction with coworkers and guests
- Must be committed to providing enthusiastic customer service at all time
- Interest in learning about the Aquarium’s animals and programs
Education & Experience Required
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED.
- Minimum of one-year in hospitality/tourist based operation preferred.
Put Your Best Fin Forward!
Employees of the South Carolina Aquarium must adhere to the Aquarium’s Appearance Policy. Before you take the plunge, please read our full policy here.
South Carolina Aquarium is an equal opportunity employer supporting workplace diversity and is a drug/alcohol screening employer. * Please note that by clicking the links above you will be redirected to a third party site.