Volunteers help keep us afloat.
As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, we cannot thank our eager, excited and dedicated volunteers enough for their tireless efforts in supporting the Aquarium. Our volunteer force is made up of 350+ diverse, enthusiastic individuals. We offer many different opportunities for volunteers, including our Anchor Volunteer Program for applicants 18 or older and various student programs, like internships, job shadow days and our Splash Program. Anchor Volunteers may engage with our guests in education, work behind the scenes in animal care or out in the field with conservation.
Total Hours of Volunteer Service: 800,651
Volunteering at the South Carolina Aquarium is an opportunity to join a community of individuals that are passionate about conservation, education and hospitality. Our volunteers enjoy a rewarding experience and many benefits.
- Aquarium membership and complimentary tickets at certain milestones
- Field trips and ongoing educational opportunities
- Opportunity to be a part of the behind-the-scenes operations
- Social gatherings and recognition events at the Aquarium
- Recognition and award pins for service
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age to participate in the Anchor Volunteer Program. Students and/or individuals under 18 who are interested in volunteering and other opportunities, check out our Job Shadow Program, Splash Program or High School Intern Program
- All volunteers must participate in a mandatory orientation and various trainings
- Volunteers who are 18 or older must pass a background check
- We ask our volunteers to commit to at least one year
- Generally, volunteers must be able to work at least one consistent shift every week
- Shift days and times vary, but an assigned shift will be the same day at the same time every week
Frequently Asked Questions
Find answers to our most frequently asked questions before applying by clicking here.