Jump start your career aspirations by applying to the South Carolina Aquarium High School Intern Program!
What It’s About
The High School Intern Program is an opportunity to become a paid intern for 11th grade students in the Charleston area. Each spring, 20 students attend training classes to learn about animals, ocean science, career development and team-building skills. Ten students are then chosen to continue on as paid interns throughout the summer and fall, working alongside Aquarium educators and biologists. From that group, two students are chosen to be mentors for the incoming class the following year.
- Application Deadline: November 5, 2023
- Interviews: Late November–Early December 2023
- Acceptance Email: December 2023
- Parent Orientation: Early January 2024
- Training Classes: January–April 2024
- Summer Internship: June–December 2024
- Training classes occur at the Aquarium one Saturday a month from January to April from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. During this time, students are evaluated on interest, commitment and progress shown. All students will undergo an interview for the paid summer internship.
- In May, students may interview again for consideration for the summer internship period. If accepted, 10 interns will work 20 hours/week at $10/hour.
- Throughout the fall, these 10 interns help plan, coordinate and implement Teen Job Shadow Days and Teen Science Cafés for 6th-12th grade students.
- Five interns will become mentors for the incoming class the following spring.
The High School Intern Program is made possible by donations from generous partners including: Boeing South Carolina, REI and SC Ports Authority.