Build-Your-Own Grit Bowls from The Grit Counter, by Grace & Grit
Now that shrimp season is open, let’s collectively show support for our local seafood community and help them through this uncertain time. One great way to do that is to opt for local seafood dishes when ordering take-out and delivery. The Grit Counter in Mt. Pleasant is committed to only serving local shrimp from South Carolina boats which is why we are happy to highlight one of their dishes this month. With curbside pick-up in full swing, now is a great time to stop by for one of their great-tasting grit bowls. If you’d like to take a stab at making one of these at home you’re in luck because this is a no-rules, clean-out-the-fridge kind of meal. Here’s how it works:
- Start with a bowl of grits.
- Add a layer of something cheesy.
- Pick two or three veggie toppings that can be fresh or cooked.
- Throw in local shrimp (steamed, grilled, fried or sautéed)
- Top with a sauce (pesto, bacon jam, or she crab gravy are some of our favorites)
What we like about this meal is that it makes excellent leftovers and the whole family can customize their own dish.